Search This Blog

Baking The Bake Off: Chocolate Peanut Butter Dobos Torte


Oh heeeeey! Welcome back to Alice Adores Apparel and to Baking The Bake Off Week 6! Time for my run down of the antics of the bakers, and my weekly bake. Not watched the episode yet? Catch up here!

Last week's European edition of The Great British Bake Off put the hunger in Hungary [insert canned laughter here!] I'll be honest, before this episode I had very little knowledge of regional European cakes and pastries, and it definitely opened my eyes to a whole new world of baking. Now usually, this is the point that I would insert my innuendo of the week, but to be honest there was very little double entendre. Come on Mel & Sue step it up next episode!

The Signature Bake saw the contestants present Mary and Paul with yeast leavened cakes. My favourite was definitely Chetna's Orange Savarin with Cinnamon Cream because the favours sounded delicious, and the cake looked gorgeously moist. Next up was the dreaded Technical Challenge, in which Mary asked the bakers to make her Prinsesstårta recipe. This was hands down the most difficult and terrifying Technical Bake I have ever witnessed in all five series of The Bake Off! I think it was the most varied set of cakes that the judges have ever been presented! Lastly the bakers were asked to create caramel topped Dobos Tortes in the Showstopper Challenge. Controversially, even though Kate was criticised for lacking in caramel decoration, I felt her Trio of Dobos Tortes looked the most gorgeous.

Chetna's crowning as Star Baker was well deserved. The way she saved her disastrous Prinsesstårta and managed to come second in the Technical Challenge was impressive. I'm very glad none of the bakers left at the end of the episode because I didn't feel anyone had particularly stood out as the weakest baker. I'm so excited to see what unfolds in tonight's episode. Roll on Pastry Week!

In this week's Baking The Bake Off post I decided to tackle my own version of a delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Dobos Torte. For the sponge layers I actually followed an american baking recipe for the first time. The recipe is for a Hazelnut Caramel Dobos Torte by US baking guru, Anna Olsen. I substituted the ground hazelnuts in Anna's ingredients for ground almonds because they are much easier to get hold of.



For the chocolate ganache I followed a BBC Good Food recipe. I used Galaxy chocolate instead of dark, because I wanted the ganache to be super smooth rather than bitter. If you decide to try out my version of a Dobos Torte, make sure you leave plenty of time before assembling your torte as the ganache requires a few hours to set in the fridge. I left mine overnight to firm up.



For the peanut butter buttercream icing, I kinda just made up the recipe. I used crunchy peanut butter to give the torte some texture and crunch.

200g Softened Butter
200g Crunchy Peanut Butter
400g Icing Sugar
2-3 drops of Vanilla Extract
5ml milk
(All amounts are approximations.)

1. Whip softened butter with crunchy peanut butter using a hand mixer.
2. Add vanilla extract.
3. Gradually incorporate icing sugar.
4. If buttercream becomes too stiff, loosen the mixture with milk.


For my caramel decoration I didn't go for anything too ambitious. I simply melted castor sugar and flicked it into an abstract pattern on greaseproof paper, then broke it into shards to give the torte a caramel crown.



I'm so happy with how my Dobos Torte turned out. The layers are nicely defined and the cake is really moist. Although the torte was relatively time consuming, each of the elements were very easy to make. I would definitely recommend the recipe. The combination of chocolate and peanut butter is a classic and so delicious. It was a big hit with my family and co-workers too!

I hope you enjoyed my latest Baking The Bake Off post! Leave me a comment below with your thoughts on The Great British Bake Off!

 

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog. Start a conversation and leave me a comment. I always read and reply. Xxx

© Alice Adores Apparel

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig